{Entrevista a Paul Nicholson} The Laughing Man - Ghost In The Shell: Standalone Complex's Hacker Logo (Autor del logo de El Hombre que Ríe)

The hit series Ghost In The Shell: Standalone Complex, features a logo for hacker and cyberterrorist "The Laughing Man", in the show he is only identified by his logo which forms a distinct part of the Standalone Complex imagery. I discovered that Paul Nicholson of Terratag designed the logo for Production I.G.

Paul, please introduce yourself:
I guess some would say I am a Japaholic. My addiction started at the age of 16 with the release of Sigue Sigue Sputnik's ‘Flaunt it', its sleeve emblazoned with Japanese text and dominated by a giant robot. Once hooked it was all too easy to get sucked in... Japanese comics, magazines, films and pop... The imagination, the style, the imagery blowing my mind.

Born in 1970 and I was brought up in Yorkshire, moving to London in 1989, to study graphic design and illustration at Kingston University. Within a few months of leaving University I started Prototype 21. At Prototype 21 I was responsible for the creative output, which included graphic design and illustration contracts and creating the T-shirt brand Prototype 21, the forerunner to Terratag . Most of the contract work was music related and past clients include Andrew Weatherall, Aphex Twin, Global Communication, Orbital, Warp Records and more recently Wagamama, Harvey Nichols and Production I.G. animation studios in Japan.

Since 2002 I have concentrated my efforts on Terratag. This year saw me working more on art projects including the creation of canvases, photographic prints and the exhibiting thereof.


With your graphic design who / what are your influences?
There is so much stuff out there that fires me up it would become a tiresome list if I were to write it all down. Suffice to say, my strongest influence is Japanese culture.

What's the strangest place you've seen one of your t-shirts? Were you surprised to see it there?
On Home and Away and more recently, an adult movie.

How did you get involved with Ghost In the Shell: Standalone Complex?
About 4 years ago I was doing some design work for a Japan based game developer and record label, Frognation. I sent over a pile of Prototype 21 stickers, one of the guys plastering his lap top. That guy also happened to be a script editor at Production I.G. Whilst working on early drafts for the first TV series the director, Kenji Kamiyama saw the laptop, liked the sticker designs and, as they say, the rest is history.

What brief were you given for the design you produced?
The brief was very interesting in that I was simply asked to read a short story by J D Salinger 'The Laughing Man' and base a logo around that.

Where did you get the design ideas from?
Being the laughing man I wanted the icon to feature a smiling face. I read the story which centres around a minor league baseball team, so I picked up on the idea of using a baseball cap.


What about the text?
The text was given to me by Production I.G. and reads: "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes". It's an excerpt from The Catcher in the Rye also J D Salinger. In the book the complete paragraph says: "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. That way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody. If anybody wanted to tell me something they'd have to write it on a piece of paper and shove it over to me. They'd get bored as hell doing that after a while, and then I'd be through with having conversations for the rest of my life". At first this text made no sense but now, having seen the whole series, I can understand the relevance to the character.

What was Production I.G's thoughts on your work?
In May 2003 I met Kenji, the production staff and animators at the Production I.G. studios in Tokyo. Through an interpreter I was very pleased to hear that they loved the logo and that they felt the submissions from Japanese designers didn't quite come up to scratch. I also got to see a whole load of merchandise that featured the logo, even getting given a very rare staff only jacket with the logo on the back. They also gave me a brief to design a logo for a terrorist organisation that is central to the second series. Cannot wait to see that series.



What did you think about the use of the logo in Stand-Alone Complex?
The first time I saw it I could have cried I was so happy. I have seen all the episodes and love the story and cannot under exaggerate what a great honour and privilege it was.

What is your reaction to being mentioned by name in episode 9 of the Ghost In the Shell Standalone Complex?
Totally and utterly stoked. They never told me about that so when I watched the episode I had to rewind just to check I had heard correctly. I leapt around my room for about 15 minutes laughing my head off. Not only that, later on there is also an episode set in London where they dropped a Prototype 21 logo on the side of a Routemaster bus. I was so happy.

What plans do you have for the future?
To continue drawing, designing and creating.



Paul, thank you for your time! It's been a pleasure, really.
Please do not hack into my cyberbrain! ^_-


A continuación la tradución realizada por nuestro compañero Batou

Uno de los elementos que más caracteriza a la exitosa serie Ghost in the Shell es el logotipo del hacker y cyberterrorista “El hombre que ríe”, cuya imagen, por su sobriedad, contrasta considerablemente con la espectacularidad estética de la serie. He descubierto que Paul Nicholson, de Terratag, diseñó el logo para Production I.G.


Paul, por favor, preséntate:
Se podría decir que soy un Japófilo. Mi afición comenzó a los 16 años con la publicación de “Sigue Sigue Sputnik's ‘Flaunt it'”, una edición de lujo con el texto japonés y de gran formato. Una vez estás enganchado es fácil conseguir cómics japoneses, revistas, películas. La imaginación, el estilo… esas imágenes están grabadas en mi mente.
Nací en 1970 y viví en Yorkshire, trasladándome a Londres en 1989 para estudiar diseño gráfico e ilustración en la Universidad de Kingston. Meses después de terminar la Universidad comencé en “Prototype 21”. Allí era el responsable creativo, lo que incluye diseño gráfico e ilustración. En aquel lugar se creó la camiseta más famosa de la compañía, percusora de Terratag.
La mayor parte del trabajo que hacíamos estaba relacionado con la música y, aparte de otros clientes, teníamos a Andrew Weatherall, Aphex Twin, Global Communication, Orbital, Warp Records y más recientemente Wagamama, Harvey Nichols y Production I.G, estudios de animación japoneses.

Desde 2002 he centrado mis esfuerzos en Terratag. Este año he trabajado más en proyectos artísticos, como la creación de impresiones fotográficas o lonas y su posterior exhibición.

Hablemos del logo de “El hombre que ríe”: ¿Viendo tus diseños, ¿quién o qué es lo que te influye? Hay muchas obras que me inspiran. Si tuviera que hacer una lista, sería enorme pero básicamente mi influencia más fuerte es la cultura japonesa

¿Cuál es el lugar más extraño en el que has visto una de tus camisetas? ¿te sorprendió verla?
En casa, en lugares muy lejanos, y más recientemente, en una película para adultos.

¿Cómo llegaste a “Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex”?
Hace aproximadamente 4 años estaba trabajando en el diseño de un juego japonés junto a gente de Frognation (empresa consultora japonesa para proyectos audiovisuales).
Repartí un montón de pegatinas de Prototipo 21, y una de las personas se la pegó en el regazo.
Esta persona resultó ser también guionista de Production I.G.
Mientras trabajaba en los bocetos para la primera serie de TV el director, Kenji Kamiyama la vio el ordenador portátil, le gustaron los diseños de las pegatinas y, como suele decirse, el resto es historia.

¿Qué instrucciones te dieron para crear el diseño?
Las instrucciones que me dieron por escrito eran muy interesantes, básicamente tenía que leer una historia corta de J.D. Salinger, “El hombre que ríe” y basar mi diseño en ella.

¿De dónde sacaste las ideas para el diseño?
Tratándose de “El hombre que ríe” me pareció una buena idea que el logotipo fuera una cara sonriente. La historia se centra en un pequeño equipo de béisbol que juega en una liga local, así que usé una gorra de béisbol.

El logo es cosa de Paul, pero ¿y el texto?
El texto me lo dió Production I.G: ”Lo que haría sería hacerme pasar por sordomudo y así no tendría que hablar”. Es una frase de “El guardián entre el centeno” también de J D Salinger. En el libro, el párrafo completo dice: “Lo que haría sería hacerme pasar por sordomudo y así no tendría que hablar. Si querían decirme algo, tendrían que escribirlo en un papelito y enseñármelo. Al final se hartarían y ya no tendría que hablar el resto de mi vida. Pensarían que era un pobre hombre y me dejarían en paz”.
Al principio no le veía ningún sentido al texto, pero ahora, viendo la serie, comprendo su importancia.

¿Qué opina Production I.G de tu trabajo?
En mayo de 2003 conocí a Kenji, al personal encargado de la producción y a los animadores en los estudios de Production I.G en Tokio. Con ayuda de un intérprete pude entender que les gustó el diseño y que veían en él el talento de los diseñadores japoneses, sin ellos mover un dedo. También pude ver un montón de artículos publicitarios con el logo, incluso había una chaqueta con el logo en la espalda. Además me dieron instrucciones para diseñar un logotipo para una organización terrorista, eje central de la segunda temporada de la serie. Estoy desesperado por verla.

¿Qué opinas del uso que se le ha dado al logo en SAC?
La primera vez que lo vi estaba tan contento que podría haber gritado de alegría. He visto todos los episodios y me encanta la historia y no exagero cuando digo que es un gran honor y un privilegio.

¿Qué sentiste al escuchar tu nombre en el episodio 9 de GitS SAC?
Un gustazo tremendo. No me lo dijeron, y cuando vi el episodio tuve que rebobinar para comprobar que había escuchado bien. Estuve como quince minutos riendo y saltando por la habitación con la cabeza completamente ida. Y no sólo eso, después, en un episodio que trascurre en Londres aparece un diseño de “Prototype 21” en el lateral de un autobús de línea. Estaba tan contento.

¿Qué proyectos tienes para el futuro?
Continuaré dibujando, diseñando y creando.

¡Paul, gracias por dedicarnos este tiempo! Ha sido un placer, de verdad.
¡Por favor, no pirateen mi cybercrebro! ^_

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Jashin Hunter

Especial Mechas